The majority of people who use cardamom as a digestive aid or as a natural food spice do not experience any side effects. While cardamom is safe and effective for most users, the side effects of this herbal medicine are unknown, as there are few reported side effects. Patients who are concerned about cardamom side effects should discuss with a medical professional before beginning to use this medicinal herb.
Side Effects and Warnings
- Although very few adverse effects have been reported with cardamom. Primarily, the seeds may cause allergic contact dermatitis (skin inflammation).
- Chewing pan masala (consisting of areca nut (betel nut), catechu, lime, cardamom, spices, unspecified flavouring agents, and tobacco) reportedly causes mouth problems, including worn teeth and sensitivity. The cardamom seed may trigger gallstone colic (spasmodic pain). Intravenous administration of cardamom seed oil has decreased heart rate.
- Cardamom may increase the risk of bleeding. Caution is advised in patients with bleeding disorders or those taking drugs that may increase the risk of bleeding. Dosing adjustments may be necessary.Cardamom may low blood pressure. Caution is advised in patients taking drugs that lower blood pressure.
- Use cautiously in patients using CNS depressants. Drowsiness or sedation may occur. Use caution if driving or operating heavy machinery.
- Cardamom may interfere with the way the body processes certain drugs using the liver’s cytochrome P450 enzyme system. As a result, the levels of these drugs may be increased in the blood and may cause increased effects or potentially serious adverse reactions. Patients using any medications should check the package insert and speak with a qualified healthcare professional, including a pharmacist, about possible interactions.
- Use cautiously with anticholinergic agents, as cardamom may have additive effects, including dry mouth, decreased urination, or blurred vision.
- Use cautiously in patients with gallstones or the tendency for gallstones, as cardamom seed may trigger gallstone colic (spasmodic pain).
- Avoid in pregnant or breastfeeding women in amounts greater than those normally found in food, due to a lack of available scientific evidence.
- Avoid in patients allergic to cardamom, its constituents, or members of the Zingiberaceae (ginger) family, as it may cause allergic contact dermatitis.
It is always better to consume any eatable maintaining a limit. Do not ever consume the same excessively. Always consult your physician whether you can eat cardamom when you are suffering from any health disorder. Balance out the cardamom benefits and side effects for an ensured solution that leads to better health!
Allergies due to Cardamom
Allergic and hypersensitivity reactions including contact dermatitis, skin rash, and respiratory trouble may occur with prolong use of cardamomin large quantities. Hives has also been reported in patients who are sensitive to cardamom. Following are the symptoms reported who have respiratory allergic reactions due to cardamom.
- Chest or throat tightness
- Uncomfortable feeling
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Respiratory trouble
Gallstone Complications due to Cardamom
Excessive consumption of cardamom might lead to gallstone. Cardamom is contraindicated in patients with gallstone. Excess consumption of cardamom may cause gallstone pain. Researches establish that cardamom intake leads to infection and bleeding in patients with a history of gallstone.
Drug Interactions of Cardamom
You should consume cardamom consciously if you are following any medicinal course. This is so, because some drugs may interact with cardamom adversely and lead to serious health consequences. The chance of drug interaction is higher in people who consume the same as regular habit without knowing the consequences. Avoid eating this as mouth freshener if you are consuming any of the following types of medicines.
- HIV drugs
- Liver medicines
- Anti-platelet drugs
- Gallstone medicines
- Irritable bowel syndrome medicines
However, it is always better to consume any eatable maintaining a limit. Do not ever consume the same excessively. Always consult your physician whether you can eat cardamom when you are suffering from any health disorder. Balance out the cardamom benefits and side effects for an ensured solution that leads to better health!